In fabulous condition with 90+ years of all original surface patina, this phenomenal piece is very highly detailed and displays wonderfully! It authentically depicts the highly fashionable Art Nouveau styling which was so wildly popular at the turn of the 20th century. This brass ashtray promotes the English settlement of the CONGO on the African continent, and thus, the words "CONGO" are impressed across the native's chest. The earliest version of this ashtray was crafted in BRONZE did not feature the Congo label across the native's chest.
A must-have piece for the sophisticated Black Americana collector!
The Arm & Hammer Baking Soda Recipe Booklet, 33 pages, measures 5.50" long x 3.25" wide, and was published by Church & Dwight Co. of New York City in 1925, with recipes compiled by the principal of Miss Farmer's School of Cookery, Boston, Massachusetts. It is in wonderful condition with no missing pages, and just the teeniest edge-rip on front cover near the top staple--so teeny that I nearly missed it! Some minor age-related foxing noted. Bound together tightly by two original staples. Fabulously colored and detailed front and back covers. .
The Swan's Down Cake Flour Booklet measures 7" long x 4.50" wide, and was published by Igleheart Bros of Evansville, Indiana in 1922. The cover of this booklet shows more wear than its offered companion, all wear appropriate for the age of the item. The booklet is bound by the original staples which remain very tight and intact. There is edge wear to covers as well as crease lines and scuffing. While the front cover is rather nondescript, the interior pages feature multiple, colored drawings of various, luscious confections as well as the company's history, a table of weights and measures, and an index. Interior pages have yellowed a bit from age and a couple pages here and there are stained presumably by ingredients as the particular recipes were being concocted.
Would love to try out a couple of these vintage recipes myself!
The bisque was likely made in Japan and then shipped to the USA for assembly as a Southern States souvenir piece. In wonderful condition with just the tiniest bit of wear to the paint here and there--appears to have never been used as a pincushion.
The 8.5 inch bottle is in fine condition and sports a label only on the side panel because it is embossed on the remaining three sides. The bottle label is almost complete with modest staining from content leakage.
This medicine retains its original, very decorative box which notes a 1915 date-- apparently when this "new" box was first introduced to the public in August of that year. The box is complete and in good condition noting modest content stain, mostly on the left panel.
Ayer's Sarsaparilla was actually a quack medicine first introduced in the mid 19th century, with no real evidence of therapeutic value, and in that regard, quite similar to many other medicines of that era. Sarsaparilla, J.C. Ayer's most popular product, was cited as a real blessing to humanity in that it purified the blood, stimulated the vital functions, restored and preserved health, and infused new life and vigor throughout the whole system!! Sarsaparilla was also recommended for jaundice, dyspepsia, pimples, boils, ringworm, female weaknesses and ‘lassitude and debility peculiar to the Spring.'
Condition: The box is complete, measuring 6 inches high, showing mild wear with some tattering and light fading. The bottle and label are in good condition with no damage to glass. Contents are old and dried. A very nice addition to your collection.
The box is mildly worn commensurate with age and use, with some tape holding the top sides together. It measures 5.5"L x 3.75"W x 3.5"H.
Twenty three of the 24 bottles retain their contents, with the one bottle displaying a dark cork being empty and broken (parts of the glass from this broken vial are stuck to the box interior compartment). The vials measure just over 3 inches tall including corks and sport handwritten labels, most of which are legible (a few are faded and illegible).
Overall a very unusual find when you consider that the contents remain.
Although homeopathy has its roots in ancient Greek medicine and in the work of the 16th-century physician, Paracelsus, modern homeopathy dates back 200 years to the work of the German doctor and chemist, Samuel Hahnemann. Hahnemann qualified as a physician but ceased to practice as a doctor because of what he saw as the barbaric medical practices of his day - which included bloodletting and the overuse of toxic medicines, leading to horrific side effects.
A brilliant linguist, he earned a living from translating books and was interested by a reference in a medical textbook describing the use of China (Peruvian bark) as a cure for malaria. Intrigued to know why China worked, he took doses of the remedy until he himself began to exhibit malarial symptoms. He stopped taking the China, and the symptoms went away. From this he deduced that the ancient principle of 'like cures like' actually worked.
His next step was to determine if there were safe levels at which toxic substances could be given - and still cure the type of symptoms that they might otherwise cause. His experiments with dilution led him to discover that the more a substance was diluted, the more potent it appeared to become.
Homeopathic medicine was born, but in practicing it, Hahnemann and his followers were subjected to ridicule and persecution by the medical establishment, despite the fact that they were seeing patients getting better on tiny doses of medicines, prescribed on the basis of 'like cures like'. Many European practitioners immigrated to the United States, where homeopathy flourished in the 19th century – until the traditional medical establishment systematically acted to remove its influence.
Hahnemann ended his days as a renowned and very busy practitioner in Paris, working into his 80's. He is interred at the Cimetière du Père Lachaise, where a large monument honors him and his discovery of Homeopathy.
Mammy or Aunt Jemima is wearing a white dress and head scarf with red trim. Her dark brown skin is flawless (any white spots or marks seen in photos are the result of light reflection and do not represent flaws of any kind.)
While she is unmarked, there is a very small black "X" on the bottom of the backside of her dress.
An incredibly hard to find piece! These very functional pieces were, more often than not, actually used in the home on ironing day, and thus were subject to damage or breakage and ended up in pieces at the local landfill! This wonderful Black American collectible was acquired from the original owner where it rested safely on a display shelf all these many years!
This handsome sextet is highlighted by a circa 1900 Fraser Tablet Company STRYCHNINE poison bottle in very nice condition complete with its worn, though functional, box.
Next is the handsome Parke Davis IRON CACODYLATE box (Rx for leukemia and anemia) sporting great condition including its 12 smaller boxes of unused ampoules!
The 3.25" tall Mallinckrodt Phenolphthalein stock box (a laxative) contains four 1 ounce bottles, all in unused condition.
The circa 1900 Mallinckrodt BLUE MASS jar sports an early label and a slightly dented cap.
Finally, two small amber pharmacy bottles- one by ARMOUR which once contained 100 Parathyroid Tablets- and the MULFORD bottle, which formerly housed 50 Pituitary Body tablets. No damage to the bottles with normal wear to the labels.
This choice group awaits your collection!
This fine, walnut, twenty-five compartment case houses twenty three medicine bottles, most of which are embossed FRASER & CO, with a few marked FRASER. A total of seventeen of the bottles sport original, early labels. Three other bottles have hand-written labels, and the remainder are unlabeled- one of which has no embossing. There are a total of six amber bottles, two of which are corked and without labels, while four are complete, inclusive of paper labels. Some of the bottles are partially filled with tablets. Please see photos to view the various medicine labels, one of which is OPIUM.
The walnut cabinet measures 11" W x 10.5" D x 6.25" H, and is in nice condition with a split on the front top that can be restored if desired. The finish has a lovely, warm patina, and the brass escutcheon bears just the right amount of oxidation. A wonderful addition to any collection!
SOLD AS IS
The paper package contains nearly all of its original powder, having never been opened; however, as noted in the second photo, the corner edge wear has resulted in some minor leakage of the powder. Because of this, the package has been shrink-wrapped to preserve the remainder of the product.
The shrink wrapping makes the package very difficult to photograph; additionally, some minor leakage of the powder under the shrink wrap also obscures viewing. The first two photos are of the actual package currently offered for sale--with shrink wrap on and minor leakage of powder under the shrink-wrap. The remaining photos clearly show the details of the Zoulou packaging using an undamaged, unshrink-wrapped package that has already been sold, no longer available for purchase. These photos are offered purely for the convenience of the viewer so that the details of the Zoulou package can be readily seen without the encumbrance of the shrink wrap blocking package details; these photos do not represent the condition of the package currently being offered for sale. The first two photos represent the condition of the actual Zoulou package currently offered for sale, with the pricing reflecting condition.
The manufacturers of the Zoulou powder claimed that healing properties were associated with the powder.
A well-detailed, rarely-found example of turn-of-the-century use of graphics in advertising!
The case measures 5.5" L x 5' W x 3" H. Hard to find microscope / laboratory tool of the trade.
The Spencer Lens Company was founded in 1895, but was actually a continuation of the earlier business originally established by Herbert Spencer in the 1840s.
Little Jasper was created by George Pal, a cartoonist who worked for Paramount Studios and who created the Puppetoons, a popular cartoon series played in movie theaters of the era prior to the screening of the feature film.
Push or pull him along, and he twirls around while the two present wooden flowers spin along with him! (One wooden flower top is, unfortunately, missing--the only imperfection to this fabulous toy!)
Overall condition is rated as excellent, barely-used condition! There is very insignificant edge wear to paint here and there, but the four wheels don't show even the tiniest trace of wear from use, suggesting that this toy quite likely sat either in a display cabinet or was packed away for its entire existence! Even the original, paper manufacturing sticker remains intact and in pristine condition!
"Little Jasper" is very RARELY found, and the opportunity to acquire him should not be overlooked!
The bowl has glaze crazing typical of an 85+ year old piece of pottery. An extremely tight hairline on one side of the bowl has been photographed for one’s perusal. It does not affect structural integrity, and the pricing of the bowl reflects this imperfection. No other flaws!
An outstanding piece of American Spongeware! Becoming much more difficult to find- particularly in this condition!
Please type the word "spongeware" into the Search box to find the other pieces of C1900-1920 Ohio Yellowware Spongeware currently being offered for sale. All pieces are prices separately.
Lettering is original and in very good condition except for some unobtrusive scuffing and loss. Please note that the lettering is bordered with black enhancement. There are 2 holes, one on each side which were originally used for mounting on the building exterior.
Will make a great addition to your collection.
This wonderful Depression Era piece features a whimsical 10 inch long cutout figure of a little wooden black girl with hand-painted smiling mouth and eyes! She is dressed in a hand-stitched cotton costume that has been stuffed with scrap fabric.
Her feet feature two brass-finish hooks, presumably to either hang keys or pot holders from. Her ears each have a punched out hole--whether this is functional or purely decorative remains a mystery. A small brass hoop threaded through a piece of fabric which was then tacked to the back of the girl's head facilitates hanging on a wall. Overall condition is fine with age-related soiling to the dress and minor paint wear typical of a 70 year-old-piece.
One of my favorite hand-made pieces with true folk art appeal!
Dr. T.D.M. Wilson graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1875, and the following offered items from this estate auction provide an historical glimpse into his long medical career.
The first item is a fabulous 19th century brass DOCTOR T.D.M. Wilson sign measuring 14L x 9W inches, which likely adorned the entrance way to Dr. Wilson's office.
Also offered in this grouping is a rare group photo of Dr. Wilson (4th from the left) and other Phi Kappa Sigma members. The frame measures 16.5"L x 12.5"W. While the photo is a bit faded, the image is remarkable and includes a distinguished group of Phi Kappa Sigma members.
The third and fourth items in this grouping are a small, framed, 1909 AMA membership certificate with Dr. Wilson's name inscribed, and a very unusual IRS narcotic SPECIAL TAX STAMP from 1926. This Narcotic form is unique in that it names Dr. Wilson as the single physician allowed to dispense narcotics within the 23rd District of the State of Pennsylvania.
Finally, 2 handwritten letters postmarked in 1884 from Dr. Wilson to his loving wife are included, offering a small glimpse into his personal life.
Together, this is rich grouping of artifacts provides one a unique opportunity to further enhance one's collection of medical objects.
Given away as a premium for opening a bank account, this still bank advertises the Mechanics Savings Bank of Hartford, Connecticut.
The bank is complete with the famous Liberty Bell crack down its front as well as this slogan etched around its top, "Proclaim Liberty Throughout All the Land Unto All The Inhabitants Thereof. LEV XXV 10".
Manufactured by the Bankers S & C System Company, Cleveland, Ohio, this bank bears a patent date of February 18, 1919, as inscribed on its base.
Made of metal and wood. The whereabouts of the original key is unknown but it is likely that any flat metal key of the period and appropriate size would open it.
A fine decorative piece for either the still bank collector or Revolutionary War buff!