The box is mildly worn commensurate with age and use, with some tape holding the top sides together. It measures 5.5"L x 3.75"W x 3.5"H.
Twenty three of the 24 bottles retain their contents, with the one bottle displaying a dark cork being empty and broken (parts of the glass from this broken vial are stuck to the box interior compartment). The vials measure just over 3 inches tall including corks and sport handwritten labels, most of which are legible (a few are faded and illegible).
Overall a very unusual find when you consider that the contents remain.
Although homeopathy has its roots in ancient Greek medicine and in the work of the 16th-century physician, Paracelsus, modern homeopathy dates back 200 years to the work of the German doctor and chemist, Samuel Hahnemann. Hahnemann qualified as a physician but ceased to practice as a doctor because of what he saw as the barbaric medical practices of his day - which included bloodletting and the overuse of toxic medicines, leading to horrific side effects.
A brilliant linguist, he earned a living from translating books and was interested by a reference in a medical textbook describing the use of China (Peruvian bark) as a cure for malaria. Intrigued to know why China worked, he took doses of the remedy until he himself began to exhibit malarial symptoms. He stopped taking the China, and the symptoms went away. From this he deduced that the ancient principle of 'like cures like' actually worked.
His next step was to determine if there were safe levels at which toxic substances could be given - and still cure the type of symptoms that they might otherwise cause. His experiments with dilution led him to discover that the more a substance was diluted, the more potent it appeared to become.
Homeopathic medicine was born, but in practicing it, Hahnemann and his followers were subjected to ridicule and persecution by the medical establishment, despite the fact that they were seeing patients getting better on tiny doses of medicines, prescribed on the basis of 'like cures like'. Many European practitioners immigrated to the United States, where homeopathy flourished in the 19th century – until the traditional medical establishment systematically acted to remove its influence.
Hahnemann ended his days as a renowned and very busy practitioner in Paris, working into his 80's. He is interred at the Cimetière du Père Lachaise, where a large monument honors him and his discovery of Homeopathy.
Detailing in construction sets this mammy doll apart! Her creation was very carefully executed through a combination of hand and machine stitching. Mammy was lovingly dressed in clothing made from old, red, black, and white-patterned handkerchiefs, while both her body and her interesting pair of black pantaloons were constructed of old, black stockings. Detailing was clearly important to the creator--an additional and elegant surprise is the cream-colored, cotton petticoat edged with lace!
Mammy's face is hand-embroidered, and she wears brass-colored, plain, hoop earrings. Her body is machine-stitched together and is stuffed with cotton batting.
Mammy is in near perfect condition with the exception of minor wear (not holes) to her stocking-constructed left foot as well as the underside of her right, stocking-constructed hand. (This wear to the fabric may well be the very reason the stockings were used to construct Mammy as they may have been discarded from personal use. Please refer to photos to view wear.)
Mammy is simply full of charm with lovely and creative detailing! A quite difficult-to-find-in-this condition, 80+-year-old, cloth mammy doll!
Both of these colorful brushes have natural bristles with the Porter measuring 7.5 inches high and the Mammy measuring 6.5 inches high.
The Railroad Porter brush has minor paint wear to his cream colored pant legs, to the edges of his cream colored hat and also has some very teeny paint wear spots round his eyes. The Porter's ear is consistent with where one would hold onto the brush while using it.
The Mammy brush is in near excellent condition with little evidence of having ever been used. Love the expression on her face! If one carefully separates the natural bristles, it is evident that at one time they were dyed green to match her bodice, but have lost their applied color with the passing of time.
Please note that the white spots seen in the photos are lighting reflections and are NOT areas of missing paint. If one looks closely, the teeny areas of missing paint can be distinguished from the light reflections.
The Mammy brush is priced at $85, the Porter priced at $70.
Please take the time to peruse our second grouping a Mammy and Porter brushes, listed separately.
This vintage piece of Black Americana is in wonderful condition absent a very tiny break at the tip of the base (see photo); it is not easily evident that the very extreme edge of the right base is missing a tiny piece.
The frame easily dissassembles into 3 parts for safe shipping and/or storage (see photo).
The Cudahy meat packing industry dates back to the turn of the century. The Cudahy meat industry, with stockyards in Omaha, Chicago, Sioux City and Los Angeles produced the REX brand of fine beef and pork products. They also produced lard, soaps and patent medicine products such as Cudahy's Essence of Pepsin and Cudahy's Rexsoma that used the animal byproducts. The patent medicines were marketed as nutritional supplements for improved health.
This 3.5 inch tall undamaged beauty is in very good condition and very classy indeed!
A terrific image on a lovely cup that can be easily displayed anywhere in your collection.
Mammy's wonderful, smiling face is hand-stitched and her clothes are machine sewn. Her blouse is seersucker, and her head, arms, skirt, apron, and cap are cotton. Her head, arms, and upper torso are stuffed with cotton batting. The natural bristle broom fills out both Mammy's torso and skirt & the wooden broom handle extends upward through her neck and head.
Mammy is in all original condition with no mends or repairs. The structural integrity of the broom remains quite sound, and Mammy, herself, is free of holes and tears. Her once-red skirt has now faded to pink. Her white cotton apron and cap have been cleaned removing nearly all traces of old stains, dirt, and dust. Photo number 2 shows her outfit BEFORE cleaning; all other photos reflect her appearance after cleaning.
A fabulous piece of vintage Black Americana, and a seldom seen form of the Black Mammy Doll!
Professionally matted and framed some many years back, this lovely piece of wall art measures 10.5 inches wide x 13.5 inches long and remains in excellent original condition! Any discoloration, facing of color or reflection seen in photos is related to the difficulty photographing an object under glass and is NOT an imperfection to the piece.
The origin of this sign is unknown, but it once hung on either the interior of a bus or railroad car designating the section of the bus or rail car where African-Americans were required to sit. One side reads “FOR WHITES” and the other side reads “FOR COLORED” thus separating the two races on public conveyance vehicles-- segregating the African-Americans to the back of the vehicle.
This historically significant sign retains its original metal hanger and is in all-original condition. It has had no restoration and bears some paint loss and scratching typical of its age and use as noted in photos. The “For White” side has significant paint loss from the actual lettering although this side of the sign is still quite "readable". The "For Colored" side is in very nice condition with very minimal paint loss to the actual lettering. This side of the sign displays exceedingly well! The age-related signs of wear do not impact the physical integrity of the sign and are more than appropriate to the age and purpose of the piece.
An utterly phenomenal, extremely RARE, one-of-a-kind, museum-worthy piece of Black American history!
Please take a moment to view the other "Jim Crow" Segregationist Era signs that I currently have the pleasure of offering.
The condition is excellent. The globe and finial have very minor and practically invisible small dings on the inner rim where the finial inserts. The glass is clean and clear with a perfectly fitting ground glass stopper. The chain link is painted black and retains most of it's finish.
The take away to this lovely piece of pharmacy history is it's style and the excellent condition. I doubt that there is one in better shape than this example. There is no pitting to this nearly 100 year old pharmacy relic.
Measures 29 inches from base to fancy hangar.
The contents include copious information on such as: ETIOLOGY, DIAGNOSTIC INDICATIONS, DISEASE PROGRESS & PROGNOSIS, TREATMENT, REMEDIES and much more.
This text is one in a series of books published in the 1880's by the WILLIAM WOOD & COMPANY, 55 & 58 Lafayette Place, NEW YORK. 355 pages. 106 black & white wood engravings.
CONDITION: Excellent with minimal foxing or wear, solid binding. MEASURES 9.25” x 6”.
Complete, National American Red Cross anatomical charts of this early 20th Century time period are quite an unusual find in today's market. Charts such as these were a frequently referenced visual aide for both the medical and nursing student, and due to this frequent educational use, not many have survived.
These wonderfully detailed teaching charts each measure 28.25" high x 20" wide and (to the best of our knowledge) are made of a wax-coated, heavy-weight, linen canvas. The top and bottom only of each chart are framed by black painted, wooden supports designed to facilitate the hanging of each chart.
The condition of each chart demonstrates mild crackling of surface and light wear and tear, as well as discoloration consistent with their 100+ years of age. Slight, unobtrusive loss of fabric is also apparent. Overall, the condition and patina of these charts are commensurate with vintage teaching tools that had been frequently referenced.
The charts are published by P. BLAKISTON'S SON & CO., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1880, this company focused its production upon the publication of high quality medical and scientific books, charts, and graphs.
This diminutive size display measures 6.25" x 3.75" x 2" closed and is in very nice condition except for some unobtrusive ink scribbling appearing mostly on the top. The cover lifts up to facilitate the advertising of this product and would have been placed on the counter top of a pharmacy in this fashion. A neat find!
Offered is a very scarce pair of circa 1940's, glass, HOSPITAL signs acquired many years ago out of a New Jersey hospital that was undergoing modernization and renovation.
The glass X-RAY LAB + SPINAL CORRECTION signs once hung near the entryways of the X-ray and Physical Therapy departments and are now ready for your collection.
The signs measure 13 inches long x 3 inches high and are made of thick, heavy, plate glass construction. The signs sport gold-toned, applied lettering and are finished off in black paint such as in the style seen in reverse-painted glass objects. There is some paint loss and lifting which is commensurate with older painted glass.
Cardboard candy boxes with black themes remain EXTREMELY RARE finds in today's market!!!
The piece is in very fine condition with expected edge and corner wear. The top left seam of the cover has split but otherwise, the box remains intact with no missing pieces.
D. L. Clark Company History:
David L. Clark (1864-1939) was born in Ireland and came to America when he was eight years old. He entered the candy business working for a small manufacturer in New York. After three years as a salesman, he bought a wagon, horses and merchandise, and went into business for himself.
The D. L. Clark Company was founded in 1886 when Clark started manufacturing candy in two back rooms of a small house in Pittsburgh's North Side. He began selling his candy in the streets of Pittsburgh. During his lifetime, his company became a leading candy manufacturer.
By 1920, the D. L. Clark Company was making about 150 different types of candy, including several five-cent bars, specialty items and bulk candy. Clark was also manufacturing chewing gum in a building across the street from his candy factory. In 1921, they incorporated Clark Brothers Chewing Gum Company as a separate business.
By 1931, the candy bar business was so expansive that Clark decided to sell the gum company, and it was renamed the Clark Gum Company.
The D. L. Clark Company remained in the hands of the Clark family until it was sold in 1955 to the Beatrice Food Company who operated the company until 1983 when in turn, it was sold to the Pittsburgh Food and Beverage Company. In 1995, the Pittsburgh Food and Beverage was thrown into bankruptcy. The company was shut down for several months and its assets divested. Restructured as Clark Bar America, the company operated until May of 1999, when it was purchased by New England Confectionery Company (NECCO), the oldest candy manufacturer in the United States.
This glass SPINAL CORRECTION sign once hung near the entryway of the physical therapy department and is ready for display in your collection!
The sign measures 13 inches long x 3 inches high and is of thick, heavy plate glass construction. The sign sports gold-toned, applied lettering and is finished off in black paint, such as in the style seen in reverse-painted glass objects. There is some paint loss and lifting which is commensurate with older painted glass.
These corked cuties date from the early 1900s to 1920s, and all but one retain their tiny corks.
Some vials, such as that containing STRYCHNINE, are marked "POISON" on their paper labels.
Interestingly, there is one VETERINARY vial labeled ARECOLINE HYDROBROMIDE POISON by Mulford.
The diminutive vials measure from 2 inches long to 3 inches and are all in good condition. Imperfections noted: one vial has a tiny chip to the mouth of the tube and another vial has a minor crack near the cork.
Interesting grouping to add to your collection!
The female doll depicts a black mammy out for a stroll with black umbrella in hand. This gentlewoman wears a red and white polka dot kerchief on her head covering most of her gray hair and has embroidered facial features – characteristic of these dolls. Also characteristic of this type of doll is a small square of asphalt shingle glued to the feet to serve as a stand. This doll has (not uncommonly) lost hers long ago, but a bit of the original shingle is still attached to the soles of both shoes. Clothing, with the exception of her neutral-striped knit-fabric sweater, is machine-sewn cotton with careful detailing right down to the red hankie poking out of her apron pocket. She also wears gold hoop earrings! Her body, which is well-stuffed to be anatomically correct, is black cotton fabric stuffed with cotton batting.
The white haired and bearded male country gentleman doll is similarly attired in machine-sewn cotton britches with a patch at the knee and suspenders along with a tan cotton striped shirt and red kerchief around his neck. His hat is constructed of cranberry-colored felt. Under his right arm, he holds a nicely crafted chicken that has sustained a tiny bit of fabric loss to its face. His left arm once held a wooden walking stick which is long gone, but alternatively, he now uses his free hand to hold the arm of his lovely lady! His asphalt shingle is also missing with remnants evident of it present on the soles of his shoes.
Two very special dolls that represent a snapshot of history, capturing the lives of poor southern black folk of the Depression era.
The dolls are priced at $225.00 each, or they may both be purchased as a pair at the discounted price of $395.00. Please note that no further advertised discount is applicable to this special paired pricing offer.