The box measures 4 inches long and is in good condition.
A must for the foot doctor in your life.
The company notes that their tablets could treat numerous symptoms and conditions especially womens ills. It enjoys crossover appeal in that it is also a 1904 World's Fair souvenir and an advertisement for the drug company - what a wonderful giveaway!
The Antikamnia ("Opposed to Pain") Chemical Company of St. Louis, Missouri, produced medicines similar to aspirin and were famous for their very graphic calendars that were given to physicians as tokens for prescribing their products.
. Measuring 3.25"W x 4.75L", this cutie is in very nice condition. The image is clear with minor surface wear commensurate with its age.
Dr. T.D.M. Wilson graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1875, and the following offered items from this estate auction provide an historical glimpse into his long medical career.
The first item is a fabulous 19th century brass DOCTOR T.D.M. Wilson sign measuring 14L x 9W inches, which likely adorned the entrance way to Dr. Wilson's office.
Also offered in this grouping is a rare group photo of Dr. Wilson (4th from the left) and other Phi Kappa Sigma members. The frame measures 16.5"L x 12.5"W. While the photo is a bit faded, the image is remarkable and includes a distinguished group of Phi Kappa Sigma members.
The third and fourth items in this grouping are a small, framed, 1909 AMA membership certificate with Dr. Wilson's name inscribed, and a very unusual IRS narcotic SPECIAL TAX STAMP from 1926. This Narcotic form is unique in that it names Dr. Wilson as the single physician allowed to dispense narcotics within the 23rd District of the State of Pennsylvania.
Finally, 2 handwritten letters postmarked in 1884 from Dr. Wilson to his loving wife are included, offering a small glimpse into his personal life.
Together, this is rich grouping of artifacts provides one a unique opportunity to further enhance one's collection of medical objects.
The sign advertises the office of "James H. Groom. Dentist.", and remains in fine condition with deep-toned, original patina and with some very minor warping due to its many years of age. The lettering is actually impressed into the surface and is painted black. Any white marks appearing on the front of the sign are due only to light/sun reflection---the sign has a very even-toned coloration.
The sign has a hole at each corner to facilitate hanging, or it may be easily displayed upon a shelf!
A fabulous , rich-looking display piece with great "eye appeal"!
The contents include copious information on such as: ETIOLOGY, DIAGNOSTIC INDICATIONS, DISEASE PROGRESS & PROGNOSIS, TREATMENT, REMEDIES and much more.
These texts are two of a series of medical books published in the 1880's by the WILLIAM WOOD & COMPANY, 27 Great Jones Street, NEW YORK. 228 & 224 pages, respectively. Numerous black & white wood engravings with some additional drawings in color.
CONDITION: Excellent with minimal foxing or wear, solid binding. MEASURES 9.25” x 6”.
The condition is very good with the brass portion skillfully soldered and fabricated. The wood component is professionally constructed with minor, unobtrusive wood separation in the front right of the smaller sorter. These are the only examples of this form I have ever seen and thus, have been able to offer for sale.
The sorters measure 9 inches and seven inches long. Due to their interesting construction, they have great visual appeal and display quite well!
This lovely, late-Victorian-styled inhaler is primarily being sold for its original box. The box is complete and very detailed on all sides (including the top), sporting wonderful graphics and information on its many merits. The box measures 6.5" H x 4" W x 3.25" D and shows only mild wear and faint staining. Finding a complete box in this condition is quite uncommon.
The lamp is not complete and is minus its chimney and top medicinal pan.
The advertising says it all - great graphic and lung specific. The last patent date noted on the box is 1899, and the first patent date is stamped on the lamp as being Ag. (August) 4, 1885.
The cover sports a wonderful image of a French gypsy benefiting from the inhalation of Williams curative powder.
The tin measures 4.5" L x 2.75" W x 1" H and is in very nice condition, most particularly the cover. Rarely found with original contents!
All but one bottle are re-purposed and sport "OTIS CLAPP & SON" embossing on one side. One bottle sports the original Otis Clapp & Son paper label (SEPIA). One bottle is round and not original to case.
Each Otis Clapp bottle measures over 2.5 inches high, having hand-written labels with instructions for use and corks with hand-written contents on top. One Otis Clapp bottle is amber colored; otherwise the bottles are clear.
The case measures 7" x 4.5" x 5" and is in very good condition with a functional front clasp. An early note has been affixed to the inner top to reflect contents, dose and antidote.
Very unusual indeed!
Some History from the Derby Connecticut Historical Society:
ALBERT W. PHILLIPS, M. D. was born at Marcellus, N. Y., July 26, 1838, his early education having been secured in the common schools of his native town.
He graduated from the Hannemann Homoepathic College, Chicago, Ill., in 1861.
At the commencement of the Rebellion, he enlisted as a private in the 12th Regiment, New York State Volunteers, but was later appointed hospital steward of the same regiment, and later received the appointment of assistant surgeon of the 149th Regiment New York Volunteers. He served until the close of the war, when he moved to Birmingham. He held the office of registrar of vital statistics, and also was an influential member of the Board of Burgess for several years. He was the only follower of the school "similia similibus curantur" in the town, and had a large and lucrative practice.
Framed in original, period frame with wood backing (20 x 15.5 inches); photo dimensions- 14.5 x 19.5 inches. Wonderful condition!
Measuring just 3.25 inches long, this hand-carved piece features a spatula that is tapered to a fine, thin edge allowing for the easy handling of the finest-ground drug powders.
Condition is very fine without imperfection! A gorgeous, RARE apothecary implement!
This tablet mold is a wonderful ONE GRAIN example of and early pharmacy "tool of the trade" and should not be missed by the novice or advanced collector. The mold is complete with the original box and in very nice condition except for minor surface wear that is commensurate with mild use and age. Also note that an unobtrusive dime size piece of the the label near the middle left portion of box is missing (unable to get an adequate picture). The box measures 6.5 inches long x 3 inches wide and shows mild wear. Don't miss this beauty! Dates from 1890 - 1900.
One package is marked PARKE DAVIS – “BUTTERNUT” - Bark of Root, measures 8” x 5”, and is in a one pound package. The other 6 wrapped packages feature hand-written content labels and are as follows: “Pd. Poplar Bark” 5” x 2” – “Pink Root” 4” x 4” x2” – “Beth Root” 3”x2” – Poke Root” 5” x4” x2” – a plastic bag of “Buchu Leaves” 8”x 6” x 2” and “Alkanit Root” in an 8” x 5” paper wrapper.
Aside from the Buchu Leaves, the packages are in “as found” but generally quite good condition considering their substantial age and very fragile nature!
Fabulous to display just as they are in their original packaging, lending an authentic, apothecary-shoppe-look to your personal collection!! Or fill your early glass apothecary bottles with vintage contents!!
This specimen dates to circa 1900 and is most likely German in origin. The company, PETER VAN SCHAAK & SONS, of Chicago, Illinois, was the American supplier of this type leech jar in the 1890 - 1916 period.
A production number "8" is noted on the inside rim. The jar sports three knobs, or string ties, to secure the lid. Made of white porcelain, this quart-size beauty stands 7.5 inches high x 5.5 inches wide (inclusive of the knobs) and measures just over 4" in diameter.
The condition is excellent with minor wear to the black lettering commensurate with its age.
Medicinal bloodletting is one of the most ancient of medical practices dating back thousands of years, with historical evidence noting its use in ancient Egypt, Rome and Greece. Bloodletting was based on an ancient system of medicine in which blood and other bodily fluids were considered to be "humors", and the proper balance of these "humors" were what maintained health. The concept that bloodletting could restore the "humors" to their proper balance was widely accepted, and the application of leeches to the body was one method of bloodletting that was practiced. By the 19th century, the use of leeches in this practice had reached its zenith, and vessels such as the one offered here were used to store the leeches when not in use.
EUPHORBIA PILUIFERA - noted in an 1891 JAMA abstract: Quite recently, at the suggestion of my friend Dr. E. T. Sabal, of Jacksonville, Florida, I have used the remedy named, euphorbia pilulifera, for the relief of a most stubborn case of hereditary asthma, and the results are such that I feel warranted in calling the attention of the profession to it, and also making an effort to compile some statistics which will be of service to us in the future. It is a popular domestic remedy in Australia, and has been used for the relief of coughs, colds and other like disturbances of the air-passages, but more especially in the treatment of asthma.