This is a fabulous white ceramic 1950s pharmacy drug store display with decorative gold gilt embellishments. The mortar measures 7 inches tall and the solid pestle is 8.5 inches long.
The condition is near excellent with no damage, cracks or dings.
An outstanding display that will compliment any pharmacy collection.
Constructed of hand-cut, ¼ inch wide, black painted wood, this darling little black girl has hand-painted eyes and smiling lips, and is dressed in a hand and machine stitched, cloth-stuffed, one piece, black, tan and green dress! She has a hole in each ear, a metal hanging loop atop her head and one metal hook on each shoe for hanging keys or potholders!
She is in fine condition given her 70+ years of age and has great “patina”. Some minor paint loss, a few teeny holes in her outfit, but very visually appealing Black Americana Folk Art, none the less!
Mammy or Aunt Jemima is wearing a white dress and head scarf with red trim. Her dark brown skin is flawless (any white spots or marks seen in photos are the result of light reflection and do not represent flaws of any kind.)
While she is unmarked, there is a very small black "X" on the bottom of the backside of her dress.
An incredibly hard to find piece! These very functional pieces were, more often than not, actually used in the home on ironing day, and thus were subject to damage or breakage and ended up in pieces at the local landfill! This wonderful Black American collectible was acquired from the original owner where it rested safely on a display shelf all these many years!
Her interesting and expressive face is completely hand-stitched and bears a tiny hole in the center of her chin. A similar teeny hole may also be seen (see photo) on her back. Mammy wears a lacy bonnet detailed with tiny pleats and 2 ribbon flowers. Her pink skirt and blouse, also hand-stitched, is presented in various shades of pink as Mammy's outfit has been subjected to light over the years and is in places, quite faded. Although now clean, Mammy's clothing is speckled here and there with teeny dark pinpoint size spots, most particularly in the bust area. Her white apron is pristine and is accented with a small, non-functional pocket. Her lace bonnet is fragile and must be handled with care as it can tear easily.
Although her bottle frame is covered by a black stocking, the stocking has opened slightly under her skirt revealing her sand-filled milk bottle.
This wonderful, early bottle doll is one of 3 currently offered bottle dolls --- all priced separately.
The folder was mailed, but remains in fine condition given its age. Some edge wear evident at corners. While some photos may appear a bit blurry, this is a function of photography and not condition. All postcards are crisp and clear!
The Real Photo postcard folder features the lyrics of "Dixieland" and 18 full color scenes featuring stereotypical and actual depictions of African-American southern life. Some politically incorrect and derogatory captioning. Scenes depicting the cotton and tobacco industries are also featured.
Interesting and extremely eye-catching graphics on both box and tins! Displays just wonderfully!
The cardboard box has some expected wear as seen in photos with small rips and abrasions, but it retains its structural integrity- still able to support the weight of twelve metal polish tins! The majority of the tins are in very, very nice condition as well with expected, slight superficial scratches here and there. Three of the twelve tins have a bit more surface wear to their lids than the others and are pictured as a trio for the buyer’s perusal---still very appealing.
A very difficult to find vintage country store display piece!
Each container is in very good condition and houses small labeled EMPTY medicine tubes sporting tiny cork tops.
Each box measures about 3 inches high and dates to the early 1900s.
This is a rare collection seldom found in this condition.
PRICED SEPARATELY - Heroin is SOLD - The Eli Lilly Codeine and Digitalin are $50.00 each and the Sharpe & Dohme Nitroglycerin is $30.00.
Text indicates that this early diploma was awarded to Mr. O. P. Sarle on January 5, 1859. This “Certificate of Approval” found him qualified “with respect to Learning Utility and Moral Character” to not only teach but administer as Principal at the Grammar School Grade for “one year unless sooner revoked by the board”. Signed by five individuals constituting the Examining Board and the President of the Superintendent of Schools.
Measures 14 inches X 16.5 inches. Labeled lower left corner: "Fishbourne's Litho. Ohio Street San Francisco". With the exception of early fold lines, condition is mint!
This museum quality kit contains directions, antitoxin vial, needle, and injector components--- including a perfect wooden box. The colorful label is complete, torn in places with stains and printed in English and Spanish.
The scarce kit measures approximately 4"W x 1.75"H x 1.25"D and is dated JULY 11, 1941.
The Smithsonian Institute has detailed and fascinating information on the history of diphtheria on their website and is a highly recommended search.
Ready to be the centerpiece of your collection!
The diminutive metal case with scale inside measures approximately 1.5" wide x 2.75" long x .75" deep and is in very nice, original condition. The scale's capacity is 1/2 to 20 grains. It was manufactured by the N.V. Randolph Paper Box Company, Richmond, VA.
****NOTE****There is no damage to the scale or case and no missing components! The original spatula, which is sometimes lost over the years, is present and completes this very handsome, visually-appealing piece!
Some history: Joseph Williamson Randolph (1815-1893) established his business as publisher, bookseller, and stationer in Richmond, Virginia, in 1831. By the early 1840s, he had formed a partnership with Joseph J. English, and the firm became one of the leading book dealers in the South by the time of the Civil War. After Randolph's death, his son, Norman Y. Randolph, operated the business until it passed into receivership. Norman Randolph was, at various times, president of the Randolph Paper Box Company, the Virginia State Insurance Company, and the Warwick Park Transportation Company. He also served as secretary-treasurer of the Virginia and North Carolina Wheel Company.
GOLD DUST Trolley Signs are a very rare find in today’s market as they were made of cardboard, a material much less likely to withstand the test of time as opposed to tin advertising signs which were much sturdier!
This Gold Dust trolley sign features the Gold Dust Twins dressed in ruffled, red skirts emblazoned with the words “GOLD DUST”, busily scrubbing the front porch and the kitchen in a vigorous attempt at “Spring Cleaning”. The colors featured in this trolley sign are just stunning—greens, pale peachy-colored orange, pale blue, and yellows with white apple blossoms and red tulips flowering in profusion!! To the left of the Gold Dust Twin scrubbing the front porch, sits a large box of Gold Dust Washing Powder. The advertisement proclaims in black-outlined, peachy-orange lettering: “For Spring House Cleaning”.
The condition of this trolley sign is truly quite fine. Colors are very strong and consistent throughout; please ignore the various glass reflections seen in some of the photos- they were unavoidable and do appear to make the colors appear a bit faded—which is inaccurate! The sign is free of rips or tears although it does have two, early, fold-creases – one running from top to bottom of the sign along the left side of the pail and between the “O” and “L” in “GOLD” and the other vertical crease on the very right edge of the sign, running through the stove in the kitchen to the “T” in “DUST”. The creases are very unobtrusive and do not detract from the wonderful, colorful imagery this sign conveys.
An unusual opportunity to acquire a very RARE piece of Black Americana!!
The first tool is a diminutive hammer which was probably used to drive small nails and tacks. The handle measures 8.5 inches long and sports a shapely head made of iron. This hand wrought primitive tool has a nice original patina and shows wear commensurate with age.
The second tool is called a RACE KNIFE which was a tool of the carpenter, cooper, lumberman and shipwright. The hooked blade scored timbers, staves, or logs with identification marks. This hand tool measures 6 inches long and has 2 cutting blades, one of which closes into the handle like a penknife. The metal component is hand-forged and is affixed to the wooden handle. The condition is very good, with a few ancient hairline splits noted to the handle. The metal has the expected minor pitting and wear of an early tool.
This pair of early tools-of-the-trade would make a great addition to your collection or display!
This display is one of a series entitled "The History of Pharmacy in Pictures" produced by Parke Davis in the late 1950's to early 1960's honoring the story of American Pharmacy.
This scene depicts Craigie providing aid during the June 17, 1775, Revolutionary War, Battle of Bunker Hill, Charlestown, Boston, Massachusetts.
This self-framed, white-bordered artwork is constructed of a quality, thick, card board and has a built-in easel on back for displaying. The picture can also be easily framed.
Perfect, intense color throughout - no fading - any glare seen is due to lighting conditions during photography. Measures approximately 21" long x 17.75" wide.
The first three tablet boxes, "GLONOIN", measure 2.75 inches long, are in very good condition, and date to the 1920s.
Next are four boxes of "HYOSCINE" that are in excellent condition and date to the 1920s. The boxes measure 2.75 inches and are all marked "POISON".
The last two tablet boxes measure 3.25 long and date to the early 1900s. PHYSOSTICMINE and STRYCHNINE each contain three perfectly labeled vials. The Strychnine vial mentions the 1906 Food and Drug Act on the tiny end label.
The condition of the boxes are very good!
Although homeopathy has its roots in ancient Greek medicine and in the work of the 16th-century physician Paracelsus, modern homeopathy dates back 200 years to the work of the German doctor and chemist, Samuel Hahnemann. Hahnemann qualified as a physician but ceased to practice as a doctor because of what he saw as the barbaric medical practices of his day - which included bloodletting and the overuse of toxic medicines, leading to horrific side effects.
A brilliant linguist, he earned a living from translating books and was interested by a reference in a medical textbook of the use of China (Peruvian bark) as a cure for malaria. Intrigued to know why China worked, he took doses of the remedy until he himself began to exhibit malarial symptoms. He stopped taking the China and the symptoms went away. From this he deduced that the ancient principle of 'like cures like' actually worked.
His next step was to determine if there were safe levels at which toxic substances could be given - and still cure the type of symptoms that they might otherwise cause. His experiments with dilution led him to discover that the more a substance was diluted, the more potent it appeared to become.
Homeopathic medicine was born, but in practicing it, Hahnemann and his followers were subjected to ridicule and persecution by the medical establishment, despite the fact that they were seeing patients getting better on tiny doses of medicines, prescribed on the basis of 'like cures like'. Many European practitioners immigrated to the United States, where homeopathy flourished in the 19th century – until the medical establishment there systematically acted to remove its influence.
Hahnemann ended his days as a renowned and very busy practitioner in Paris, working into his 80's. He is interred at the Cimetière du Père Lachaise, where a large monument honors him and his discovery of Homeopathy.
Pill machines were designed to enhance the productivity of the early pharmacist, and this design was, indeed, popular for many, many years. This pill machine is designed with 24 tubes for medicine-making.
The condition is very good, sporting a nice patina commensurate with its age and use. It is constructed of walnut and embellished with brass edge guards as well as brass grooved molds. The paddle has a number of early small dings and a small, faint hairline split on the top edge. The base measures approximately 12" L x 7" W x 1.75" H including the footed base. The paddle is 16.5"L x 3"W.
An apothecary classic, ready for your collection.
First there is the rare, Parke Davis example labeled "AZOA" (rat virus) designed to exterminate mice, rats and other vermin! This unused, circa 1900, product measures 3.25" high and sports complete labels on both the cork and bottle.
Second, is a full, unused Dr. A.C DANIELS disinfectant bottle sporting a colorful and very graphically-appealing label. The bottle measures 6.25" tall and is in nice condition.
The third bottle is the empty GLOVER'S "IMPERIAL MANGE MEDICINE" which also has a graphically-appealing label featuring the handsome profiles of a horse and dog. Embossing is present on three panels of this deep, amber-colored bottle. Very nice!
Finally, is the very colorful and unused GOMBAULTS "CAUSTIC BALSAM" skin liniment housed in a screw cap bottle, which is marked 1940 on its box. The box is very good and complete while the bottle shows a covering of modest surface film. The colorful box measures 7 inches tall and comes complete with directions for both human and veterinary use! WOW!
Hand adzes, which are swung with one hand, are used for smoothing or carving wood. This early adze with its captivating, primitive look exhibits appropriate wear commensurate with a modestly used tool of some 160 years of age. Various dings, scratches, wood loss are evident in this piece yet add wonderful character to this early tool of the wood workers trade. Attached to the handle is a hand-forged, 4.5 inch iron blade that is nearly flat. As seen in one of the photos, there exists an older, 19th century wedge, though likely not original, which has served as a more than acceptable replacement over the years.
*****PLEASE NOTE: THE ATTACHED STICKER INDICATES THE YEAR 1985- THE YEAR I PURCHASED THIS TOOL FOR MY OWN COLLECTION.*****
A lovely, early example of a woodworker's tool, designed, as was required during the 19th century, to assist with a specific woodworking function.