Offered is a very rare, highly ornate and meticulously detailed, 1887, medicine advertising mirror made for the G.G. Green Pharmaceutical Manufacturer of Woodbury, New Jersey. It features 3 PATENT MEDICINES, patent-owned and offered by Surgeon, Colonel G.G. Green. (brief Bio below)
This gorgeous advertising mirror was gifted to select pharmacists who were required to sign a contract promising to consistently offer the particular Green's medicines that were imprinted on the mirror's frame: Green's August Flower, Ague Conqueror, and Boschee's German Syrup.
The frame measures 21" square with an elaborately embellished decorative face of embossed detailing and is constructed of a plaster-based material. The name "G.G. Green, Woodbury, NJ" is prominently embossed on the bottom portion of the frame.
The frame's construction remains quite sturdy. The overall condition is good with some restoration required, if so desired, to the missing pieces as seen in the photos. The missing pieces cause minimal distraction from the beauty, intricacy and rarity of this frame. The mirror had been replaced at some point prior to our ownership.
A brief biography: Colonel George Gill Green served as a Union surgeon during the Civil War and later became a manufacturer of patent medicines. He reached millionaire status after buying the rights to Ague Conqueror, Boschee's German Syrup and Green's August Flower and then, successfully marketing their use. A local philanthropist, he provided the funding for the construction of Woodbury's Opera House. He also built the G.G. Green Manufacturing building, and both structures are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.