Club #1 is a 38 inch mid iron with its original brushed, mildly worn leather grip (see small 1 inch missing piece in photo) and hickory wood shaft. The shaft is solid, undamaged with an early finish that has unobtrusive wear and a warm, aged patina. The square dot imprinted club face shows wear commensurate with an antique club. The club is marked inside an oval "G S Sprague & Co. - Boston Mass. - STANDARD".
Club #2 is a 36 inch mashie with an early repaired smooth leather grip and original hickory wood shaft the is marked "L SKIPPER". The marking on the back of club notes the following: "SPECIAL" "BTN" (which is the maker) etc. The front sports square dot imprinting.
Club #3 is a 35.5 inch very handsome mashie that sports its original leather grip and hickory shaft and round dot face imprinting . The back of the club has the following info: :A. MERCER SPECIAL CHARLOTTE", "MASHIE and :ACCURATE". In faint stamping are 3 letters "WMP" which were probably the clubs owner initials.
All clubs show honorable wear with commensurate tarnish on the club head. A very nice trio!
This fabulous early tool of the medical trade sports a visually-interesting, graphic, brass face with a scale delineating increments from 0 to 1400 pounds. There are 2 dials - one that notes the actual pressure achieved, and the second stationary dial that serves as the reference.
This instrument enjoys wonderful, rich patina on both the metal and wooden sections. It measures 13 inches at the widest point and 10 inches at the wooden handles.
A fabulous device which has great visual appeal and displays wonderfully! Sure to spark some interesting conversation at your next gathering!
Iron #1 is stamped in back with the following: "HOYLAKE SPECIAL" MID-IRON. The hickory shaft is in good shape with signs of honorable wear to the finish and wood. There is no grip on this club. This English made club sports a face with the line style construction and dates to the 1920s.
Iron #2 is marked "Hand forged in Scotland" , "NICOLLS INDICATOR. 140 YDS , "4" and more. The shaft is intact and has a break at the hosel and the finish is worn. The face sports round stamping and the club exhibits modest wear commensurate with an antique club. The grip is long gone on this handsome scarce 4 iron. Research notes that this club dates to the 1925 era based upon the "HAND" shaped mark imprinted on the back of the club.
Both clubs are worth restoring!
This lovely, late-Victorian-styled inhaler is primarily being sold for its original box. The box is complete and very detailed on all sides (including the top), sporting wonderful graphics and information on its many merits. The box measures 6.5" H x 4" W x 3.25" D and shows only mild wear and faint staining. Finding a complete box in this condition is quite uncommon.
The lamp is not complete and is minus its chimney and top medicinal pan.
The advertising says it all - great graphic and lung specific. The last patent date noted on the box is 1899, and the first patent date is stamped on the lamp as being Ag. (August) 4, 1885.
This fabulous beauty salon collectible comes with its original box, a bottle of “FABROL” lotion with original paper label, 4 metal rod CURLERS, 2 metal with wood handle DRYING TUBES, wires, and a group of curling papers. Looking at the apparatus in this kit, it is a wonder any woman was brave enough to perm her hair!!
The paper-covered cardboard box has wear and tear at seams and edges typical of a 80+ year old piece, but it displays wonderfully and sports a highly decorative label on the inner cover featuring the image of a lovely lass curling her hair.
From “Mons. Antoine Fabre – 11 Hills Place – Oxford Circus, London, W.”.
Dates to the early 1920s.
This 35.5 inch club has its original smooth, mildly worn leather grip and hickory wood shaft. The shaft is solid, undamaged with an early finish that has unobtrusive wear and a warm, aged patina. The club face shows honorable wear commensurate with an antique club and a square dot manufacture pattern.
The back of the club sports various stamp marks including in script "THE VICTORY". Also noted is the following stamping: Special, Warranted, HAND FORGED, and the word "IRON". Plus, in a circular stamp is the following - "THE ATHLETIC STORES LTD BELFAST". The letter "L" is stamped to indicate it is a ladies club. THE ATHLETIC STORES building was built in 1896 in BELFAST and was used as a sports store in Northern Ireland and years later converted into a warehouse.
The club dates to the 1905 - 1925 era based on the crimped hosel design, stamped square dot pattern and similar style clubs of the era.
Likely Staffordshire, the quill holder features lovely polychrome coloration. Condition is wonderful with no chips, breaks, repairs, or repaints. Age crackling to glaze is evident along with a tiny stain on the dove's breast.
A darling piece!
There are traces of chrome plating on the faces of this handsome 36 inch club. The hickory shaft sports a light toned color and the long ago replaced brushed leather grip give this club a regal feel and appearance.
The undamaged shaft has some mild bending and club faces show honorable wear with a warm, aged patina. There is a tiny wiggle at the club hosel that is unobtrusive in nature.
Deep grooved clubs such as this gem first appeared in 1914 and later outlawed in 1925. They were designed to promote more backspin to control distance and they apparently worked so well that in 1921 Jock Hutchinson won the British Open. <
I was unable to find any information on the manufacturer of this club as the only identifying mark is the letter (F) in a diamond shaped stamp.
The ORIENTAL TOOTH PASTE pot lid measures about 3 inches in diameter, sports a marbled exterior and is in very nice condition with a few faint edge chips to the base. There is a slight variance in color between the top and base.
The WOODS CHERRY TOOTH PASTE pot lid measures over 2.5" in diameter, sports red printing on top and is in very good condition. This container has some small chips on the interior edge of the base.
Displayed together as a pair or individually, these dental pot lids will add visual interest to your collection!
Extensively used in the 19th century and earlier, the cupping glass is a glass vessel from which the air has been exhausted by heat or suction creating a vacuum, and then applied to the skin to draw blood to the surface for therapeutic or curative purposes.
This dual purpose pharmacy tool of the trade measures about 9 inches high and retains much of its original black japanned surface.
The club is stamped on the back with "KROYDON U8 - FORGED HEAT TREATED", "ACME QUALITY" and is stamped "SPADE MASHIE" on the sole. The thick hickory shaft is secure and the iron sports a tarnished patina and smooth surface. The club measures 35.5 inches from the tip of the toe to the end of the handle and exhibits mild honorable wear.
Of interest is that the use of smooth faced clubs were a rarity especially after 1910. The Kroydon Co. that originated in 1919 apparently felt there was still interest in the smooth faced concept as evidenced by this club.
Prior to 1900, the vast majority of irons were smooth-faced. During this period, it was common for caddies to use emery cloth to lightly clean off rust from the club heads. Prior to the use of grooves or hand-punched dots being applied to the club face (to enhance backspin), caddies would use the emery cloth to roughen the "sweet spot" on the club face to promote backspin.
Beginning in the 1890's, hand-punched dots on the club face appeared and by 1905; patterns such as scored lines, dots and lines, criss-cross lines with or without dots became the norm.
The end of the smooth-face era for irons occurred around 1910, though some were still offered in catalogues after that date for those who resisted change.
The 12 inch tall powder bottle has an open pontil on the base and sports a ground glass stopper, and is in fine condition with edge chips to the stopper as seen in the photo.
It is part of an unusual collection of 6 similar bottles that are offered for sale, some of which are etched WITTE’S PATENT 11/14/76. This particular bottle IS etched with this patent information.
In 20 years of specializing in pharmacy and apothecary antiquities, this is the first time that I have seen this version of a HAND PAINTED apothecary bottle!
Measuring just 3.25 inches long, this hand-carved piece features a spatula that is tapered to a fine, thin edge allowing for the easy handling of the finest-ground drug powders.
Condition is very fine without imperfection! A gorgeous, RARE apothecary implement!
The box measures 4 inches long and is in good condition.
A must for the foot doctor in your life.
Framed in original, period frame with wood backing (20 x 15.5 inches); photo dimensions- 14.5 x 19.5 inches. Wonderful condition!
The Cudahy meat packing industry dates back to the turn of the century. The Cudahy meat industry, with stockyards in Omaha, Chicago, Sioux City and Los Angeles produced the REX brand of fine beef and pork products. They also produced lard, soaps and patent medicine products such as Cudahy's Essence of Pepsin and Cudahy's Rexsoma that used the animal byproducts. The patent medicines were marketed as nutritional supplements for improved health.
This 3.5 inch tall undamaged beauty is in very good condition and very classy indeed!
A terrific image on a lovely cup that can be easily displayed anywhere in your collection.
The decorative and delicate detailing of this piece is at odds with its most gruesome history! Scalloped copper edge guards and the appealing pattern in which the drainage holes in the laminated wood tabletop were laid out contribute to visual appeal. The softwood table frame stands on nicely turned hardwood legs.
When opened and extended to its maximum dimensions, the table measures 72" long X 18.5" wide X 22" high. To facilitate ease of traveling, this portable table slides and folds to 40" long X 18.5" wide X 4" high. A leather carrying handle is attached to the table edge; legs, when folded, are secured in place with hooks.
Very fine original condition: expected overall wear (patina) with one hook missing and minor unobtrusive loss of laminate along lower table top edge measuring approximately 1/3” wide by 7”.