The double carbon amplifier microphones measure 4¾" x 2⅜" x 7/16" thick. The front view sports two decorative "snowflake" designed ports, and the base has a small swiveling leg for standing on a flat surface. The leather tab is provided so that the hearing device could be attached to a shirt button.
The receiver microphone is attached to both an "ON/OFF" switch and the earpiece via two coiled wires that have a two-pronged end for battery attachment. Please note that the battery is not functional nor does it have the correct ports for receiving the wire prongs...but it came with the case and fits quite nicely!!
The condition is very good with wear commensurate with a well-loved antique.
WIKIPEDIA has some very inetersting info on this style of hearing aid which was produced from the early 1900s till the late 1930s.
Both blown-glass globes retain their original brass chains and hooks and are in very good condition with the expected, minor, age-related scratches of an antique glass globe. There are no cracks, and the globes hold water just fine! The interior of the glass globes have a mild hazy appearance, notably towards the upper third of glass. The haziness disappears when the globes are filled with colored water.
The iron supporting frames sport brass plating and are most decorative. There is the expected, age-related, modest loss and tarnishing to the brass features with some metal pitting of the interior and top edge of globe hangers noted.
These globes originally hung in the Yalowich Pharmacy in Rochester, New York. They display beautifully and will add the "WOW" factor to any apothecary collection.
This awesome example dates to 1955, is painted and has a reflective finish on the large lettering. This sign is new-old-stock, was never used and was acquired directly from the family of the former proprietor of the now-defunct, Stanley, North Dakota, Rexall Pharmacy!!!
This beauty measures 36" long x 18" wide and was manufactured by the Continental Sign and Advertising Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota. It appears to be made of a galvanized metal, is pre-drilled for hanging and is in pristine condition!
Ready for your collection! A fabulous, visually striking, pharmacy advertising piece!
The case measures 5.5" L x 5' W x 3" H. Hard to find microscope / laboratory tool of the trade.
The Spencer Lens Company was founded in 1895, but was actually a continuation of the earlier business originally established by Herbert Spencer in the 1840s.
First is a Munyon's Headache Cure which has a screw cap glass vial in a colorful box. This medicine sports a partial tax stamp, measures 2.75 inches and is in fine condition.
The two Dr. Franklin's Specific Cures measure just over 3 inches long and sport very graphic and appealing labels. The first glass vial marked #24, cures Diseases of the Ear and Hearing and more. The second glass vial marked #31, cures Sore Mouth and Canker, plus Morning Sickness, Syphilitic Sore mouth and more. The condition of both vials is very good.
Next, is a very colorful REQUA'S CUBEB CIGARETTES box of 12--complete! This Brooklyn, N.Y., medicine claims to relieve minor sore throat and bronchial irritations including nasal congestion due to colds. Please note the image of the patient puffing casually on a cigarette to retain good health!!!! The box is in good condition with wrinkling and creases and is 3.25 inch high.
MOTHERSILL'S TRAVEL REMEDY is a cute box of 12 capsules for children. This 2 inch cutie is empty, in very nice condition and is made in N.Y.
Item #6 is a laxative tin, QUINARETS, from the Virginia Chemical Company with partial contents, pamphlet and is in good condition. The tin measures 2.5 inches with some mild scratches and wear.
Together a wonderful grouping of quite interesting patent medicines from the early 1900s to 1940s.
This complete display consists of 24, colorful CHANDLER'S medicine boxes, each of which contain the original brown pills!
Each box's label includes ingredients described as Acetanilide 1 gr., Caffeine Alkaloid 1/16 gr.,, Po. Ext. Dogwood, Po. Extract Gentian, Cascarin, Po. Capsicum, Podophyllin, and Aloin.
Packed by CHANDLER MEDICINE CO. - Office 2812 Dodier Street, ST. LOUIS, MO., the display measures 6" x 5" x 1" and is in unused, fine condition. ***NOTE*** The cover must be separated from each corner to be set-up as a display as seen in photo.
What a great collectible for the pharmacist, nurse or doctor in your life!
The cup is embossed with swirls, dots and bows as well as decorated further with gold-drawn designs and 2 large, hand-painted pink roses with 1 smaller cream-colored rose. The cup base is scalloped and the fancy handle is gold-gilded.
A very pretty piece!
The traveling case's exterior is constructed of leather, and the interior sports 5 compartments packed with a total of 62 medicine bottles. Specifically, there are 32 narrow medicine vials with metal screw-on caps, plus 17 medium-size vials. There are six miscellaneous vials, 5 of which are corked, and one that houses a later-date, glass syringe. Finally, there are 7 apothecary bottles with ground glass stoppers residing in their individual compartments.
Imprinted in gold-gilding on the inside cover flap is the manufacturer name, "H.K. MULFORD COMPANY", which is a precursor to today's Merck. The label cites "7 Highest Awards from the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition" (which took place in Chicago) and which dates the case to the 1890's.
This interesting case measures 11 inches L x 5.5 inches W x 6.25 inches H. The case is complete and has modest wear and tear commensurate of a used antique. Some separation of leather parts with stains of age and use reside on the interior and exterior surfaces.
An intriguing piece of early pharmacy and physician care.
****NOTE ****CHLOROHYDRATE, QUININE, PHENOBARB bottles are SOLD****
Offered is a wonderful collection of approximately 35 Merck & Company pharmacy stock bottles from the 1940 - 1950s era, recently acquired from the collection of a retired Pennsylvania pharmacist.
Included within this grouping are five, RED-labeled, POISON bottles displaying the visually-interesting skull and cross bone image!
The bottles measure 5 inches tall, sport front and back labels and have plastic or bakelite type caps. The condition of all of the bottles is very good with almost no wear!
Each bottle sports a different content label; given the number of bottles in this offering, a comprehensive listing of specific bottle content labels is prohibitive. Instead, please view each of the photos for a representation of the content labeling on these great drug store stock bottles!
The entire grouping all together would make an absolutely stunning addition to one's pharmacy collection!
The box is mildly worn commensurate with age and use, with some tape holding the top sides together. It measures 5.5"L x 3.75"W x 3.5"H.
Twenty three of the 24 bottles retain their contents, with the one bottle displaying a dark cork being empty and broken (parts of the glass from this broken vial are stuck to the box interior compartment). The vials measure just over 3 inches tall including corks and sport handwritten labels, most of which are legible (a few are faded and illegible).
Overall a very unusual find when you consider that the contents remain.
Although homeopathy has its roots in ancient Greek medicine and in the work of the 16th-century physician, Paracelsus, modern homeopathy dates back 200 years to the work of the German doctor and chemist, Samuel Hahnemann. Hahnemann qualified as a physician but ceased to practice as a doctor because of what he saw as the barbaric medical practices of his day - which included bloodletting and the overuse of toxic medicines, leading to horrific side effects.
A brilliant linguist, he earned a living from translating books and was interested by a reference in a medical textbook describing the use of China (Peruvian bark) as a cure for malaria. Intrigued to know why China worked, he took doses of the remedy until he himself began to exhibit malarial symptoms. He stopped taking the China, and the symptoms went away. From this he deduced that the ancient principle of 'like cures like' actually worked.
His next step was to determine if there were safe levels at which toxic substances could be given - and still cure the type of symptoms that they might otherwise cause. His experiments with dilution led him to discover that the more a substance was diluted, the more potent it appeared to become.
Homeopathic medicine was born, but in practicing it, Hahnemann and his followers were subjected to ridicule and persecution by the medical establishment, despite the fact that they were seeing patients getting better on tiny doses of medicines, prescribed on the basis of 'like cures like'. Many European practitioners immigrated to the United States, where homeopathy flourished in the 19th century – until the traditional medical establishment systematically acted to remove its influence.
Hahnemann ended his days as a renowned and very busy practitioner in Paris, working into his 80's. He is interred at the Cimetière du Père Lachaise, where a large monument honors him and his discovery of Homeopathy.
First is a robust 8" size early 1900s Powers-Weightman-Rosengarten POTASSIUM SALICYLATE stock bottle.
Bottle #2 is a 7 inch high Merck ANTIMONY CHLORIDE formerly used in veterinary medicine as a dehorning agent.
Bottle #3 CALCIUM CHLORIDE, is 6 inches tall and was used as a source of calcium in foods, paper manufacture and chemistry to mention a few.
Item #4 ACID PICRIC was used in medicine as an antiseptic and for the treatment of burns. It measures 3.5 inches.
Bottle #5 GUAIACOL CARBONATE from Powers & Weightman measures 5 inches high and was used as an expectorant and disinfectant.
Bottle #6 HYDROCYANIC ACID measures 4.5 inches and was used as a pesticide. Empty.
Bottle #7 EMETINE from Sharpe & Dohme measures a mere 2 inches tall and is an emetic.
Finally, a 5 inch bottle #8 LEAD OXIDE was used in the building trade.
All the bottles are in fine shape and sport labels that show wear, stains or fading commensurate with age. Most are circa early 1900 with EMETINE being from the 1920 era. A very interesting group!
Recently acquired during an antiques hunt in the Savanna, Georgia, area, this beauty measures just over 12 inches high and just under 5 inches in diameter at the base.
Condition of the glass label: The tapered glass label is complete, with very minor paint lifting and discoloration most evident along the bottom of the label. The glass portion of label is undamaged.
Condition of the bottle: There are no chips to the bottle. The interior of the bottle is clear except for some faint deposit on the top water edge. The base of bottle is embossed "Pat'd Dec. 10 95" (1895).
Condition of the stopper: The decorative stopper has a tiny edge fleck on the edge of one lower facet. The lower inside of stopper has 3 unobtrusive fractures on the rear portion not visible from the front. There are 2 fractures on the upper portion of the bottle where the stopper fits. One of them is on the left and is barely visible. The stopper is fixed in placed and has not been tampered with.
The photos adequately present the condition of bottle. A stunning centerpiece for your collection.
Dating to the 1950s - 1960s era, this beautiful, white and cobalt blue colored pair are in excellent condition. The large jar measures 10.75 inches tall x 6 inches in diameter. The small jar measures 7.5 inches high x 4.75 inches in diameter.
Ready for display in your vintage drug store collection!
The 8.5 inch bottle is in fine condition and sports a label only on the side panel because it is embossed on the remaining three sides. The bottle label is almost complete with modest staining from content leakage.
This medicine retains its original, very decorative box which notes a 1915 date-- apparently when this "new" box was first introduced to the public in August of that year. The box is complete and in good condition noting modest content stain, mostly on the left panel.
Ayer's Sarsaparilla was actually a quack medicine first introduced in the mid 19th century, with no real evidence of therapeutic value, and in that regard, quite similar to many other medicines of that era. Sarsaparilla, J.C. Ayer's most popular product, was cited as a real blessing to humanity in that it purified the blood, stimulated the vital functions, restored and preserved health, and infused new life and vigor throughout the whole system!! Sarsaparilla was also recommended for jaundice, dyspepsia, pimples, boils, ringworm, female weaknesses and ‘lassitude and debility peculiar to the Spring.'
From the GLASCO Glass Company, this pill tile is in nice condition, with 2 edge dings and various faint glass scratches acquired as a result of use, resulting in a fine, vintage patina.
First, is the very visually-appealing, Dr. Daniels "COLIC DROPS" medicine that contains 2 corked bottles housed in an interesting, graphically-detailed box. The box measures 4.5" x 3" x 1" and is in fair condition dating to 1906. The corked bottles are in fine condition and are embossed drops #1 and #2.
The second bottle is aqua colored and embossed H.H.H HORSE MEDICINE D.D.T. 1868 and measures 8.25" tall. There various small closed air bubbles, two tiny lip imperfections and a surface scratch on the back.
The third bottle is embossed "PRATTS VETERINARY LINIMENT PRATT FOOD CO PHILA USA" and measures 5.5" h x 2"W. This aqua colored bottle is embossed 485 on the bottom, has numerous tiny, enclosed, air bubbles, mild faint interior staining and six exterior circular stains on the neck. There is no damage to the bottle, and it displays well.
The hardwood case measures 4.5"L x 3"W x 1.5"H and is in very nice condition. "HENRY TROEMNER MAKER PHILADA" is stamped in red on one side of the case. The box top retains remnants of a State Weights & Measures certification sticker and an old decal with the letter "M" noted.
The brass gram weights have the expected patina and tarnish of a vintage piece. The aluminum milligram weights and tweezers are all in fine condition.
A nice addition to your collection!
Complete, National American Red Cross anatomical charts of this early 20th Century time period are quite an unusual find in today's market. Charts such as these were a frequently referenced visual aide for both the medical and nursing student, and due to this frequent educational use, not many have survived.
These wonderfully detailed teaching charts each measure 28.25" high x 20" wide and (to the best of our knowledge) are made of a wax-coated, heavy-weight, linen canvas. The top and bottom only of each chart are framed by black painted, wooden supports designed to facilitate the hanging of each chart.
The condition of each chart demonstrates mild crackling of surface and light wear and tear, as well as discoloration consistent with their 100+ years of age. Slight, unobtrusive loss of fabric is also apparent. Overall, the condition and patina of these charts are commensurate with vintage teaching tools that had been frequently referenced.
The charts are published by P. BLAKISTON'S SON & CO., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1880, this company focused its production upon the publication of high quality medical and scientific books, charts, and graphs.