The 8.5 inch bottle is in fine condition and sports a label only on the side panel because it is embossed on the remaining three sides. The bottle label is almost complete with modest staining from content leakage.
This medicine retains its original, very decorative box which notes a 1915 date-- apparently when this "new" box was first introduced to the public in August of that year. The box is complete and in good condition noting modest content stain, mostly on the left panel.
Ayer's Sarsaparilla was actually a quack medicine first introduced in the mid 19th century, with no real evidence of therapeutic value, and in that regard, quite similar to many other medicines of that era. Sarsaparilla, J.C. Ayer's most popular product, was cited as a real blessing to humanity in that it purified the blood, stimulated the vital functions, restored and preserved health, and infused new life and vigor throughout the whole system!! Sarsaparilla was also recommended for jaundice, dyspepsia, pimples, boils, ringworm, female weaknesses and ‘lassitude and debility peculiar to the Spring.'
Dr. T.D.M. Wilson graduated from Jefferson Medical College in 1875, and the following offered items from this estate auction provide an historical glimpse into his long medical career.
The first item is a fabulous 19th century brass DOCTOR T.D.M. Wilson sign measuring 14L x 9W inches, which likely adorned the entrance way to Dr. Wilson's office.
Also offered in this grouping is a rare group photo of Dr. Wilson (4th from the left) and other Phi Kappa Sigma members. The frame measures 16.5"L x 12.5"W. While the photo is a bit faded, the image is remarkable and includes a distinguished group of Phi Kappa Sigma members.
The third and fourth items in this grouping are a small, framed, 1909 AMA membership certificate with Dr. Wilson's name inscribed, and a very unusual IRS narcotic SPECIAL TAX STAMP from 1926. This Narcotic form is unique in that it names Dr. Wilson as the single physician allowed to dispense narcotics within the 23rd District of the State of Pennsylvania.
Finally, 2 handwritten letters postmarked in 1884 from Dr. Wilson to his loving wife are included, offering a small glimpse into his personal life.
Together, this is rich grouping of artifacts provides one a unique opportunity to further enhance one's collection of medical objects.
This collection consists of 5 glass and 1 metal electrode, an owner's guide with images of the various electrodes, a user's instruction booklet, a wooden box which houses the pieces, and what appear to be two glass nasal tubes, the function and purpose, uncertain. Additionally, a baby bath thermometer is included with this grouping.
The condition of all instruments and accessories is very good with no broken parts. The booklets show mild wear; a tear is present on the bottom front to the back of the 16 page illustrated Rogers Electric Lab booklet.
The 5 electrodes include one COMB ELECTRODE, four Surface Electrodes and one Metal Electrode. The wood box sports a metal lined interior,and has patina consistent of an honorably used antique. The box lock mechanism is complete, sticks slightly and opens easily, measuring 9.75" L x 6.5" W x 4.25" H.
A supplemental addition to one's quack medicine collection! Reasonably priced!
The historically-fascinating sheath label is in exquisite condition with minor edge wear noted to the sheath. The strap shows evidence of use and also remains in fine condition.
The 9.35 inch long strap was advertised for use in sharpening not only shaving razors, but also pen knives and surgical instruments!
A rare piece of early Barber Shop Memorabilia!
First, is a very visually-graphic and unopened DR HANDS COLIC REMEDY for children. The wrapper is in good shape with the normal wear expected to be found on an antique medicine.
Second, is WILSON'S NEUROPATHIC DROPS formerly used as a counter-irritant and anodyne. The label is complete and notes that the medicine is from the Osgood Products Co. of Newton, Massachusetts.
Finally, is a very appealing bottle from the LAXACOLA Company, of New York. Labeled "The Great Tonic Laxative", it also claimed to prevent and CURE HABITUAL CONSTIPATION and served as a remedy for children treating childrens' conditions of the stomach and digestive organs. Great stuff!
For reference, the GREAT TONIC LAXATIVE measures 8 inches high and retains a damaged, partial box. There are no signs of damage to any of the glass bottles. This delightful trio is ready for your collection!
This cleverly named product came in a diminutive tube measuring 3.5 inches long with its carton a mere 4 inches long. Supposedly, by following directions and using "at the right time", this ointment would measure up to its full potential.
Dates to the 1950's - 1960's era and is in very good condition.
This antiquated medicine with inert contents is meant for display ONLY and NOT meant for use.
A GREAT conversation piece!
Each pull measures about 2"W x 1 3/4"H x 1 1/2" front to back (not including bolt).
The condition of the pulls is very good with only one pull (SIENNA) showing minor use-damage above the letter "A"(see photo). Otherwise, some pulls have minor manufacturing imperfections that add to the desired patina of an antique of this age and period.
Most of the pulls sport the following, sometimes illegible, maker's mark on the bottom of the knob: "PAT. FEB 12, 89 - M.D.B. CO. - ST. LOUIS, MO".
The pulls are PRICED EACH at $43.00 PER PULL and are ready for your collection or for retro-chic decorating use on an actual cabinet, be it antique or contemporary!
First is a robust 8" size early 1900s Powers-Weightman-Rosengarten POTASSIUM SALICYLATE stock bottle.
Bottle #2 is a 7 inch high Merck ANTIMONY CHLORIDE formerly used in veterinary medicine as a dehorning agent.
Bottle #3 CALCIUM CHLORIDE, is 6 inches tall and was used as a source of calcium in foods, paper manufacture and chemistry to mention a few.
Item #4 ACID PICRIC was used in medicine as an antiseptic and for the treatment of burns. It measures 3.5 inches.
Bottle #5 GUAIACOL CARBONATE from Powers & Weightman measures 5 inches high and was used as an expectorant and disinfectant.
Bottle #6 HYDROCYANIC ACID measures 4.5 inches and was used as a pesticide. Empty.
Bottle #7 EMETINE from Sharpe & Dohme measures a mere 2 inches tall and is an emetic.
Finally, a 5 inch bottle #8 LEAD OXIDE was used in the building trade.
All the bottles are in fine shape and sport labels that show wear, stains or fading commensurate with age. Most are circa early 1900 with EMETINE being from the 1920 era. A very interesting group!
This glass SPINAL CORRECTION sign once hung near the entryway of the physical therapy department and is ready for display in your collection!
The sign measures 13 inches long x 3 inches high and is of thick, heavy plate glass construction. The sign sports gold-toned, applied lettering and is finished off in black paint, such as in the style seen in reverse-painted glass objects. There is some paint loss and lifting which is commensurate with older painted glass.
These beautiful pharmacy displays are in very nice, all-original condition including the sculptured glass corked stoppers (the stoppers are taped in place in the photos for safety only--the stoppers fit perfectly)!!
The globes measure about 21 inches high and are capable of holding the colored water of your choice!
The condition of the aluminum stands shows some wear and faint pitting commensurate with age. Hard to find complete with finials.
A simply gorgeous display awaiting placement in your drug store collection!
The base is embossed “W N WALTON PATD SEPT 23D 1862”. A great find indeed!
The bowl measures 4.25 inches at the mouth, 4 inches tall and is approximately 5 inches at its widest point. It dates to the 1940 era.
This complete display consists of 24, small 'sample' medicine boxes, each of which contain colorful little red pills!
Each box's label includes ingredients described as 'laxative and cathartic’.
Packed by CHANDLER MEDICINE CO. - Office 2812 Dodier Street, ST. LOUIS, MO., the display measures 6" x 5" x 1" and is in unused, very nice condition. ***NOTE*** The left side edges of the box have separated from each corner and the front top panel which serves as the front display when open is partially detached from it's side. While this sounds a bit like the box is damaged, this kind of separation does occur over time and is noted for full disclosure. It is very nice!
What a great collectible for the pharmacist, nurse or doctor in your life!
The fancy-scrolled and embellished metal case appears to be brass with nickel plating and reads, "Dr. C.H. Fitch's Prescription Scale Pat Sept 29th 1885" on the top.
The diminutive metal case containing the scale inside measures approximately 1.5" wide x 2.75" long x .75" deep and is in nice, original condition. The scale's capacity is 1/2 to 20 grains. It was manufactured by the N.V. Randolph Paper Box Company, Richmond, VA.
****NOTE****There is no damage to the scale or case, but the spatula is missing. The top of the case wears an ancient coat of lacquer applied long ago by a previous owner at sometime during its 130+ years of existence and can easily be removed if so desired.
Some history: Joseph Williamson Randolph (1815-1893) established his business as publisher, bookseller, and stationer in Richmond, Virginia, in 1831. By the early 1840s, he had formed a partnership with Joseph J. English, and the firm became one of the leading book dealers in the South by the time of the Civil War. After Randolph's death, his son, Norman Y. Randolph, operated the business until it passed into receivership. Norman Randolph was, at various times, president of the Randolph Paper Box Company, the Virginia State Insurance Company, and the Warwick Park Transportation Company. He also served as secretary-treasurer of the Virginia and North Carolina Wheel Company.
Dating to the 1950s - 1960s era, this beautiful, white and cobalt blue colored pair are in excellent condition. The large jar measures 10.75 inches tall x 6 inches in diameter. The small jar measures 7.5 inches high x 4.75 inches in diameter.
Ready for display in your vintage drug store collection!
Complete, National American Red Cross anatomical charts of this early 20th Century time period are quite an unusual find in today's market. Charts such as these were a frequently referenced visual aide for both the medical and nursing student, and due to this frequent educational use, not many have survived.
These wonderfully detailed teaching charts each measure 28.25" high x 20" wide and (to the best of our knowledge) are made of a wax-coated, heavy-weight, linen canvas. The top and bottom only of each chart are framed by black painted, wooden supports designed to facilitate the hanging of each chart.
The condition of each chart demonstrates mild crackling of surface and light wear and tear, as well as discoloration consistent with their 100+ years of age. Slight, unobtrusive loss of fabric is also apparent. Overall, the condition and patina of these charts are commensurate with vintage teaching tools that had been frequently referenced.
The charts are published by P. BLAKISTON'S SON & CO., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1880, this company focused its production upon the publication of high quality medical and scientific books, charts, and graphs.
This complete display consists of 24, colorful CHANDLER'S medicine boxes, each of which contain the original brown pills!
Each box's label includes ingredients described as Acetanilide 1 gr., Caffeine Alkaloid 1/16 gr.,, Po. Ext. Dogwood, Po. Extract Gentian, Cascarin, Po. Capsicum, Podophyllin, and Aloin.
Packed by CHANDLER MEDICINE CO. - Office 2812 Dodier Street, ST. LOUIS, MO., the display measures 6" x 5" x 1" and is in unused, fine condition. ***NOTE*** The cover must be separated from each corner to be set-up as a display as seen in photo.
What a great collectible for the pharmacist, nurse or doctor in your life!
The case measures 6.25"L x 1.2" W and is in very good condition. The case show evidence of minimal tarnish and the faint imperfections of an older instrument.
Ready for your showcase!