This gorgeous advertising mirror was gifted to select pharmacists who were required to sign a contract promising to consistently offer the particular Green's medicines that were imprinted on the mirror's frame: Green's August Flower, Ague Conqueror, and Boschee's German Syrup.
The frame measures 21" square with an elaborately embellished decorative face of embossed detailing and is constructed of a plaster-based material. The name "G.G. Green, Woodbury, NJ" is prominently embossed on the bottom portion of the frame.
The frame's construction remains quite sturdy. The overall condition is good with some restoration required, if so desired, to the missing pieces as seen in the photos. The missing pieces cause minimal distraction from the beauty, intricacy and rarity of this frame. The mirror had been replaced at some point prior to our ownership.
A brief biography: Colonel George Gill Green served as a Union surgeon during the Civil War and later became a manufacturer of patent medicines. He reached millionaire status after buying the rights to Ague Conqueror, Boschee's German Syrup and Green's August Flower and then, successfully marketing their use. A local philanthropist, he provided the funding for the construction of Woodbury's Opera House. He also built the G.G. Green Manufacturing building, and both structures are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cardboard candy boxes with black themes remain EXTREMELY RARE finds in today's market!!!
The piece is in very fine condition with expected edge and corner wear. The top left seam of the cover has split but otherwise, the box remains intact with no missing pieces.
D. L. Clark Company History:
David L. Clark (1864-1939) was born in Ireland and came to America when he was eight years old. He entered the candy business working for a small manufacturer in New York. After three years as a salesman, he bought a wagon, horses and merchandise, and went into business for himself.
The D. L. Clark Company was founded in 1886 when Clark started manufacturing candy in two back rooms of a small house in Pittsburgh's North Side. He began selling his candy in the streets of Pittsburgh. During his lifetime, his company became a leading candy manufacturer.
By 1920, the D. L. Clark Company was making about 150 different types of candy, including several five-cent bars, specialty items and bulk candy. Clark was also manufacturing chewing gum in a building across the street from his candy factory. In 1921, they incorporated Clark Brothers Chewing Gum Company as a separate business.
By 1931, the candy bar business was so expansive that Clark decided to sell the gum company, and it was renamed the Clark Gum Company.
The D. L. Clark Company remained in the hands of the Clark family until it was sold in 1955 to the Beatrice Food Company who operated the company until 1983 when in turn, it was sold to the Pittsburgh Food and Beverage Company. In 1995, the Pittsburgh Food and Beverage was thrown into bankruptcy. The company was shut down for several months and its assets divested. Restructured as Clark Bar America, the company operated until May of 1999, when it was purchased by New England Confectionery Company (NECCO), the oldest candy manufacturer in the United States.
Priced Separately See Description
The weights are housed in plastic, fitted cases and include tweezers for securing the various milligram weights. Each cased set offers a total of sixteen gram and ounce brass weights - 1 metric, small, coin-size weight and various, metal, gram and grain weights.
The cases measure 4.5 inches long x 4 inches wide x 1.75 inches high.
Condition of the BRISTOL-MEYERS case is very good with wear commensurate with use and age and is priced $45.00.
Case #2 marked OHAUS on the top is in excellent condition and is priced $60.00. This set comes with its original shipping box and appears unused.
The piece has two tiny holes in its bowl suggesting that this was once screwed or fastened into another piece. Logic suggests that perhaps this may have been an advertising display item of some sort.
Remnants of red paint are easily visible on the back of the black boy's hat as well as on his lips, and the giant shoe also displays remnants of black paint. When one looks quite closely, one can see that the entire figure was at one time painted. Some light superficial rusting to the bowl is evident here and there.
Certainly a mystery piece as to purpose, this fascinating Black Memorabilia collectible remains quite intriguing and does reinforce a stereotypical occupation associated with black folk during the unfortunate Jim Crow era.
Author: Heyward, DuBose.
Title: JASBO BROWN AND SELECTED POEMS.
Subject: African-American Experience and Culture of Charleston, South Carolina Publication: New York: Farrar & Rinehart, (1931)
Edition: First Edition
Description: First edition. Hardcover, gilt-stamped brown cloth. First printing. 96 pages. A tight very good plus copy with a partial, former ownership bookplate with minor writing, some tiny chipping to the spine ends. No dust jacket.
Farrar & Rinehart, Inc. indicated their First Editions by the small oval logo forming the letters F an R immediately above the copyright line on the back of the title page.
The 1924 date is for the copyright date of the poetry, the 1931 is the date of first publication in book form.
Edwin DuBose Heyward (August 31, 1885 – June 16, 1940) was an American author who was born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina. He is best known for his 1925 novel Porgy. He and his wife Dorothy, a playwright, adapted it as a 1927 play of the same name. The couple worked with composer George Gershwin to adapt the work as the 1935 opera Porgy and Bess. It was later adapted as a 1959 film of the same name. Heyward also wrote poetry and other novels and plays, and this book of selected poems reflected his observations of and experiences with black culture in Charleston during his childhood.
The arm on one side is stamped in increments 1 through 9 (pounds) and 7-30 on the opposite side. Photo #5 shows two fancy and not often seen, "cross-shaped" embellishments.
The condition is very good with some mild wear, traces of rust, and faint pitting of the iron, all commensurate with an early tool of the trade.
A very decorative, scarce example of early craftsmanship.
Her cute face is composed of pearl button eyes with red fabric mouth. She wears a flowered bandanna and a pale blue apron over her pale blue patterned dress. Her clothes are odor and stain free and are nicely constructed--note fancy sleeve detail!
Just love her size!!! Odor-free---- ready to be displayed in your collection!! She is one of 3 offered bottle dolls all coming from the same estate--and all priced separately.
In addition to making children's games, The Milton Bradley Company, for many, many years, produced an extensive array of school supplies, equipment, and materials!
A wonderful addition to School or Artist Memorabilia collection!
Although two boxes are pictured in the photo, sale is for ONE BOX ONLY.
Interestingly, whomever wrought this very detailed, family-history sampler omitted just one significant detail- the family surname!
On the left side of the sampler, the Scotch ethnicity is wrought along with the occupations of Parson and Doctor, with a 1725, antique salt box style home the domicile of the parson (?) wrought below the later 1940 domicile of the doctor (?) at New York City's Park Avenue address.
The right side of the family sampler depicts French origins with a 1777 mentor (teacher) and his red schoolhouse wrought below the 1861 farmer residing in the town of Morrisania (Morristown, NJ?).
The central aspect of the sampler depicts a number of images: a very stylish horse drawn carriage with driver and a sun umbrella--holding, female occupant, a well-landscaped, bright yellow homestead dated 1777, the ethnicity of "English" stitched out, and finally, a tall-spired village church with accompanying date of 1752.
The French Fleur de Lis is wrought into the sampler as well as the very ancient, stylized, so-called-today "swastika" cross, a symbol that can be traced back to ancient Byzantine times and which was frequently featured in early Native American culture as a symbol of abundance.
The sampler hem is completely hand-stitched. The sampler, itself, is in very fine condition retaining bright coloration and an absence of holes, tears or discoloration of any kind. Background color of the linen is an even, mellow, tannish-off-white.
A well-executed cross stitch sampler very much shrouded in mystery as to family origin!
Double-sided, this visually-appealing school collectible displays stunningly whether displayed on the bright yellow "SLOW" side or the nearly-glow-in-the-dark red and white "STOP" side!
The metal sign retains its original wooden handle as well as its share of age and use-related surface scuffs, scratches and even a couple of errant paint spots that absolutely do not detract from its conversation-provoking appeal!
An interesting and unique enhancement to one's Vintage School Collection!
Painted in 1934, the framed piece measures 20" x 26.5"; the watercolor, 13” x 19.5 “. Completed in various subtle tones of blue, gray, green, and brown. The watercolor was reframed in 1987 by the previous owner.
The 1.5 inch small Atropine 1/200gr. bottle is from the 1950s and in good condition - Price is $8.00.
The 2 inch Atropine 1/100gr bottle is in nice condition. - Price is $10.00.
The cute Nitrostat bottle measures 1.25 inches is priced at $8.00.
.The scarce 2 inch tall Cactina Pillets box and bottle is SOLD.
The 4 inch tall Crateagus Heart remedy bottle with box has been SOLD.
A nice grouping indeed!
The form measures 11" high x 9" wide and is in fine condition except for a 1/2" tear in the upper (R) hand corner (barely seen when framed). Although once common, these decorative documents are getting more difficult to find.
The statuette is constructed of lucite and is placed on a painted wood base. The piece is very nicely hand-painted and detailed. It depicts Ms. Baker in her famous banana skin skirt, wearing large loop earrings and holding her long, slender, silver cigarette holder. Her anatomical assets are duly accented in aluminum. The base is constructed utilizing the Art Deco design styling of the 1930's--the decade in which Ms. Baker first acquired her fame. The card holder, itself, is also aluminum.
Condition is mint with just the teeniest of surface scratches here and there apparent only when the piece is held to the light. Some slight pitting to the aluminum card holder edges.
Josephine Baker (June 3, 1906 – April 12, 1975) was an American-born French entertainer, most noted for her celebrated Folies Bergère singing career. In her early career, she was a feted dancer and is often credited as a movie star, although she only starred in 3 films in her early career. She was given the nicknames "Black Venus" or "Black Pearl" and "Créole Goddess", while in France she was known in the old theatrical tradition as "La Baker". She became a citizen of France in 1937. She is also credited for her contributions to the Civil Rights Movement in North America and for being an inspiration to generations of African-American female entertainers.
This glass SPECIAL CONSULTATION sign once hung near the entryway of the Medical department and is ready for your collection!
The sign measures 13 inches long x 3 inches high and is of thick, heavy, plate glass construction. The sign sports gold-toned, applied lettering and is finished off in black paint such as in the style seen in reverse-painted glass objects. There is modest paint loss and lifting which is commensurate with older painted glass.
First is a robust 8" size early 1900s Powers-Weightman-Rosengarten POTASSIUM SALICYLATE stock bottle.
Bottle #2 is a 7 inch high Merck ANTIMONY CHLORIDE formerly used in veterinary medicine as a dehorning agent.
Bottle #3 CALCIUM CHLORIDE, is 6 inches tall and was used as a source of calcium in foods, paper manufacture and chemistry to mention a few.
Item #4 ACID PICRIC was used in medicine as an antiseptic and for the treatment of burns. It measures 3.5 inches.
Bottle #5 GUAIACOL CARBONATE from Powers & Weightman measures 5 inches high and was used as an expectorant and disinfectant.
Bottle #6 HYDROCYANIC ACID measures 4.5 inches and was used as a pesticide. Empty.
Bottle #7 EMETINE from Sharpe & Dohme measures a mere 2 inches tall and is an emetic.
Finally, a 5 inch bottle #8 LEAD OXIDE was used in the building trade.
All the bottles are in fine shape and sport labels that show wear, stains or fading commensurate with age. Most are circa early 1900 with EMETINE being from the 1920 era. A very interesting group!
The folder was mailed, but remains in fine condition given its age. Some edge wear evident at corners. While some photos may appear a bit blurry, this is a function of photography and not condition. All postcards are crisp and clear!
The Real Photo postcard folder features the lyrics and music of "Dixieland" and 18 full color scenes of the industries common in the South during this period: cotton picking and production, tapping pine trees for turpentine production, watermelon farming, and sugarcaning. Of cultural and historical interest are the numerous scenes of African-American life including less-flattering stereotypical scenes. Some very politically incorrect and derogatory captioning including use of "dialect".