Each visually appealing drawer pull measures about 4.7/8"W x 2 3/8"H x 7/8"D. The labels are reverse painted on glass, original and sport a wonderful patina.
The condition of the pulls is very good with only one pull, VIBURN..., showing minor glass damage(see photo). Otherwise, some pulls have minor paint loss, very faint superficial rust, and may need a slight cleaning of the glass, all of which add to the expected appearance and condition of an antique of this age and period.
Extremely hard to find in this condition!
A tiny bisque black boy holding a watermelon slice is seated on a throne of sea shells. The name of the location that this sea shell souvenir was meant to commemorate is worn and is no longer readable.
Two very minor chips are present as shown in photos which do not detract from the beauty of this piece!
The flag features 48 stars and is bordered with the stars and stripes as well as a Liberty Bell at each of the four corners.
The Flag is double-sided and looks fabulous when viewed from either side.
Would look just striking if matted and framed!
Remaining in its original frame, this watercolor retains its vibrant color. A lovely piece of Black Americana executed with some naivete!
Please ignore any white streaks seen in photos; these are the result of light reflection off of the glass.
First, is a sample bottle of FLORAPLEXIN prepared by Franklin Hart of New York. The label notes that it is, "A positive cure for Dyspepsia, Liver complaints, NERVOUS EXHAUSTION, & Consumption." Lots of small print on the back noting that if this medicine is used, "you will be cured" of your particular symptoms which include being NERVOUS, IRRITABLE & GLOOMY or having EVIL FOREBODINGS - rather interesting claims not often made by patent medicine producers. Measures about 3 inches, in very good condition.
Second, is a diminutive, corked, 2.75 inch bottle labeled "THE ENSIGN REMEDIES, "Remedy No. 1." The label notes: "For Abnormal Mental States, Fears, Forebodings, Persistent Thoughts and Evil Suggestions". It is quite rare to find medicines that were specifically indicated for the treatment of mental illness. The Ensign Remedies company was from Battle Creek, Michigan, and was mentioned often in the various medical journals published during the late 1800s and early 1900s. The bottle is excellent and the label shows modest wear, loss and fading.
Third, is a very choice, Dr. Schoop's medicine labeled "Restorative Nerve Pills" in a cute 2.5 inch bottle. The label also mentions the following: "For the Cure of Nervousness and Constipation". Additional claims note that the pills are "for the quick relief of Nervousness, Sleeplessness, Trembling, Hysteria, Spasms, and all conditions of the Brain and Nervous System attended by Nervous Excitement, etc.". The medicine is unused and sports a complete, graphic label including bright circular end labels on top and bottom. This well may be a wooden vial but without opening,one cannot be certain. Dates to circa 1900.
These nostrums give credence to "good things come in small packages". A desirable trio indeed!
The first three tablet boxes, "GLONOIN", measure 2.75 inches long, are in very good condition, and date to the 1920s.
Next are four boxes of "HYOSCINE" that are in excellent condition and date to the 1920s. The boxes measure 2.75 inches and are all marked "POISON".
The last two tablet boxes measure 3.25 long and date to the early 1900s. PHYSOSTICMINE and STRYCHNINE each contain three perfectly labeled vials. The Strychnine vial mentions the 1906 Food and Drug Act on the tiny end label.
The condition of the boxes are very good!
These lovely Drug Store labels measure just over 2.25" x 3.25" and are complete with a gummed backing (similar to a postage stamp).
Most of the labels are in fine condition while others show various folds, paper loss (where they were stuck together by glue), and some labels missing pieces. This is all commensurate with the early storage of early paper. The labels are unused and have gummed backing and are ready for your collection.
A brief history of the Golliwog doll: The Golliwog is based on a Black minstrel doll that the Victorian era illustrator, Florence Kate Upton, born in 1873 of English parents, had played with as a small child in New York. Upton's Golliwog character was first introduced to the world in her 1895 book entitled The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls. Like the rag doll that inspired it, the Golliwog in her book was an ugly creature with very dark, jet black skin, large white-rimmed eyes, red clown lips, and wild, frizzy hair. Golliwogs are typically male and are generally dressed in a jacket, trousers, bow tie, and stand-up collar in a combination of red, white, blue, black, and occasionally yellow colors.
Measuring 21.5 inches long, this delightful and appealing cloth Golli is unmarked and is thought, by his original and quite elderly owner, to have been made in the mid 1940's! (She speculates that he could even be a bit older than that, but she remembers not acquiring him until after the end of WWII.)
His nose and mouth are hand-stitched and he has round, cloth covered button eyes- the pupils were hand-colored using black ink! His nicely coiffed, black hair appears to have been styled from soft, "stuffed animal-type" fur! Rather interesting and ingenious! He has a machine-stitched, cotton batting stuffed, black sock cloth body. His colorful wardrobe is also machine stitched- green wool mourning coat, gold vest, and red and white polka-dotted cotton pants and matching bow tie!
He is in wonderful condition with the exception of some tiny moth holes to the back of his mourning coat (see photos) as well as another tiny moth hole to the back of his right arm and back right pants leg. The polka dot clothing shows the slightest hint of fading. His dark black fur hair also shows some age-related color change to brown at the roots. Hmm...then again...perhaps he's simply overdue for another hair coloring appointment at the Salon!
A very sweet addition to one's Black Memorabilia or Golliwogg collection!
Mammy's paper memo pad is original to the piece; however, she is missing her original pencil which would slip into the hole in her right hand and down into the broom top to form the broom handle! A present day pencil may be used as a replacement.
Condition is quite good with some tiny, age-related, surface and edge flecks as seen in photos. No repaint, cracks, repairs, no breaks! No maker's mark.
Evidence of hand-craftmanship are scribe marks that extend beyond their desired point. The metal working skate is crudely riveted to the wood. Various early forged screws and nuts secure the sliding arms. To add to the charm of this early tool are two animal horn repairs to the fence, one of which is quite small and difficult to photograph.
The condition is commensurate with the honorable wear one would expect of an antique, utilitarian woodworking tool. The patina is wonderful with a smooth brownish finish, various scratches and dings, and mild wear. The blade and wedge do not exist.
Circa 1920-30’s, the chalk box features a sliding wooden top and carries further advertising on one side printed in matching cobalt blue print. Box measures 6.5 inches x 4.5 inches x 3.75 inches and is constructed of machine cut hinges. In pristine condition and an increasingly difficult collectible to find!
This 5 inch tall wide mouth bottle is in fine condition. The ground glass stopper fits perfectly. The glass label is complete, has mild unobtrusive crackled paint and displays quite well. The base has embossing that notes "W.T.CO. USA.".
A darling little size that will fit with any collection.
This product was produced by the lime manufacturers, Hatmaker and Place, of Canaan, Connecticut, in the late 1800s. This small company was located within a large "lime belt" that stretched from Connecticut to Vermont. Back in the day, lime powder mixed with water was quite commonly used to "white wash" or paint numerous surfaces, and it was also used as a medicinal disinfectant! The manufacture of lime from marble was one of the earliest and most successful mineral industries in Connecticut, with historical records dating the establishment of the first CT lime manufactory to 1722.
Given its age and the fragility of paper, condition of this wonderful box is quite good. The lower portion of the back side of the box evidences light surface wear with some of the printing on the lower portion of the box worn away as a result. The front of the box has a 3.25 inch long tear which resulted in the loss of the lime powder from the box.
This early piece of Black Americana advertising is EXCEEDINGLY RARE and may well be a ONE-OF-A-Kind item! The Hatmaker and Place Company was one of a number of very small manufactories located within the "lime belt" that were ALL bought out and immediately closed down by a wealthy group of investors who then created and incorporated the mammoth monopoly, The New England Lime Company, early in 1902.
This fabulous piece of Black Americana is NOT to be missed by the serious collector!
These signs have a very colorful, folk-art appeal and certainly are utterly unique! They very much fit into the American, Southern "Outsider Art" collecting genre, a genre which highlights the work of self-taught, rural area artists who create fabulous and highly expressive art using the media and materials that they have at hand and which reflects the world that they know and live in.
The signs are quite heavy as each is made from a solid wood board. The signs are nearly identical in size and measure approximately 25 1/2 inches wide x 14 5/8 high x 3/4ths of an inch thick. One of the signs has very, very slight warping, but the warpage is not readily evident as seen by pictures. Each sign has 2 holes from which to hang them, and the old rusted hanging wire which is seen in the photos has been replaced by new hanging wire.
Interestingly, this display was found among the contents of an old North Carolina country store.
This product was made in the 1940's in the USA with tubes originally selling for 15 cents per tube. Each bakelite capsule or tube contains 45 sticks of "Q-15 Soft Standard" pieces of pencil-lead.
As seen in the photos, the red caps of the bakelite containers are brittle from age and are in varying states of "wholeness"--some intact and some not.
An interesting and unusual item to add to one's advertising or olde school collection!
The club on the left is stamped with the owner's initials "T.H" and "AC SPALDING & BROS MAKERS", plus "MODEL D HAND FORGED". The shaft is secure and is modestly split above the hosel. The iron has a tarnished patina and smooth surface. The grip is constructed of brushed leather and is complete. The club measures 40.5 inches from the tip of the toe to the end of the handle.
The club on the right is stamped "ST. ANDREWS" and "MAKERS" with the letter "L" denoting that it is a lady's club. The club face exhibits minor, honorable wear as well as an age-appropriate patina with some rust and pitting on the hosel. The shaft shows appropriate wear, is almost straight, and is secure. The original, smooth leather grip has what appears to be an ancient piece of tape (which can be removed) on each end. The club measures 34.25 inches from the tip of toe to the end of the handle.
Prior to 1900, the vast majority of irons were smooth-faced. During this period, it was common for caddies to use emery cloth to lightly clean off rust from the club heads. Prior to the use of grooves or hand-punched dots being applied to the club face (to enhance backspin), caddies would use the emery cloth to roughen the "sweet spot" on the club face to promote backspin.
Beginning in the 1890's, hand-punched dots on the club face appeared and by 1905, patterns such as scored lines, dots and lines, criss-cross lines with or without dots became the norm.
The end of the smooth-face era for irons occurred around 1910, though some were still offered in catalogues after that date for those who resisted change.